Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Stilts, Drinks, Surgery and Albuquerque

Stilt walking on Sunday at the Father's Day Fiesta went pretty well. We didn't have the best costumes, but we had fun pants. It was SO windy. I was scared we were going to get blown down. It actually wasn't too bad up there though. Until I brought out my parasol to protect me from the sun, I didn't have too much more resistance to the wind than usual, so it just blew by me, as usual. The parasol made things a little more complicated and I had to make sure it was facing the right way when a big gust of wind came or it would break me, the parasol, or both.

When I got down from the stilts and packed up I still had some time left for parking, so I got some ice cream and watched the break dancers on stage. The firefighters that we had been walking by all day were nearby and started chatting saying they would have caught us if we fell. They might come to the show now.

That night I headed over to Leslie and Bob's with a chicken breast and an artichoke. I got there just in time to find them snacking on some delicious baked potato chunks and playing cards. We all had a drink and started some new games. The night went on pretty long before dinner started happening. I was already three drinks in when we started making dinner. Unfortunately, by that time, James and I had run to the store so he could get some Tequila... no bueno. They insisted we all take the first shot together. Blegh. After that I pretty much reclined on the couch with my eyes closed and listened to what everyone else was saying. By the time dinner was ready, I was feeling well enough to eat a taco, slowly. I hung around for a couple more hours and felt well enough to head home. I slept in late the next day.

Monday, Lisa, a friend I met last year at BUST, had to go in for surgery on her nose. She broke it whilst spotting some current BUSTers in an unexpected acro move and got kicked in the face. Randi was going to drop her off and I had offered to pick her up, but when Randi got there she realized there had to be someone there the whole time while she was in surgery, so I headed over around 11:30am. Around 12:45p they finally took her back and the wonderful nurse, Neva, started taking down her information. There was a lot of waiting even at this stag for all the key people to be in the right place together (surgeon, anesthesiologist, scrub nurse, etc). Finally around 2pm the surgery was done and around 3pm they let Lisa leave. On the way home we had to hit the pharmacy (where I bought a new $7 stethoscope!) and the grocery store so that Lisa had her meds and mild food.

We hung out for a little at home and then I had to leave for training. Randi was very grateful and gracious and took me (and RJ and Lisa) out for dinner at a delicious Indian place afterward. We all stayed up and chatted for a bit afterwards and then headed towards bed.

Tuesday, I still had the stilts from the Father's Day Fiesta and I took Leslie, Bob and James to the park to try them out. Bob brought his slack line and yuke and I brought my cameras. It was a lovely day. Leslie took to the stilts amazingly well. She stayed on them for almost 2 hours straight. I got a lot better at slack lining and we took lots of pictures. I had to leave after a couple hours to get ready to go to Albuquerque to babysit Avery's son, so we didn't stay too long.

I headed out of Santa Fe just around 4pm and got a call from Avery just around 4:30pm when I was directly halfway that she didn't need me until 9:30pm. Well, that threw a kink in my day. I decided just to drive to ABQ and hang out since I had to be there anyway and I didn't want to add an extra 60 miles to my trip. I hung out around old town ABQ, which was pretty nice actually, and then went to the newer part of town when UNM is. I tried to watch the sunset for Solstice, but couldn't find a good place. I even tried going out in this random field and ended up with about 50 goat-heads (prickly plant pieces - very prickly) in my sandals. I'm so glad my sandals were still thick enough that they didn't go all the way through! The night got better and I got back to Santa Fe around 2am and slept in again.

In a couple hours I'll be headed out to help Ilana and make a little money, and then it's off to the circus... or at least circus school for "Physical Theater", which was really great the first time, but has gotten very old and a somewhat tedious.

No comments:

Post a Comment