Friday, June 24, 2011

Naked in Nature + a New Act!

Physical Theater class was indeed a little tedious. I'm all for learning about expression and performance, for exploring how to create a character or portray an emotion, for allowing myself to give and receive with an audience, but if I had to play "Friend or Foe" one more time or lift one more imaginary rock I would scream. We started the day off with warming up and then were asked, "How about a game of Friend of Foe?" To which I responded, "What is really the point of this game?" in all sincerity, wanting to understand it's purpose and what I could be getting from it. The teacher looked at me in slightly shocked disappointment and another woman in the class said, "What's the point of life, Caitlyn?" I suppose life might just be one giant game of Friend or Foe...

In class we worked on tension. I followed a woman's foot around, keeping it within 6 inches of my nose - apparently to show tension. I didn't get it. She didn't get it either while following my elbow.

At any rate, after class I skipped outta there instead of staying for open studio because I had a movie night to get to. It was pretty great. Tim showed "Little Shop of Horrors" and Rob AND Kerry (who now actually lives in Colorado, but was here for the week) showed up. Tim sang all the songs. I was impressed. Afterward, people left pretty quickly, but I stuck around with Tim for another episode of MacGyver - the only other episode of it I had seen was the week before after movie night. Tim and I hung out and talked for a bit, but I eventually had to go so that I could get to sleep and get up to drive to Taos to meet with the administrator of the National College of Midwifery.

I got up fairly early Thursday to pick up Leslie, Bob, and James to take them to Taos with me. The drive was good; Leslie and Bob played ukelele and sang most of the way. I dropped them off downtown near the plaza and went to have my lunch meeting. Lisa, the administrator was very nice. She brought me some information and sympathized with my decision between nursing or non-nursing. She also told me that I can do their program anywhere, so I could find a midwife to apprentice with in the Bay Area and get accredited through their school, which is good to know.

After lunch, I picked everybody up at the plaza and we headed back down 68 toward the Rio Grande. We stopped off at a good place to get to the bank of the river and enjoyed some shade and swimming... well, sort of swimming because the Rio Grande is fast. We walked out as far as we could without being dragged away and dunked, then we held onto rocks and let ourselves float in the current. We found a secluded little spot with a fairly small path down to the water and freed ourselves from our swimsuit/clothing restraints. It was so magical/beautiful/exhilarating/natural to float and splash around nude in the river. I'm so glad that I have friends that are into nudity in nature too! Soon after we had to get back in the car so that I could get back to training at Wise Fool.

When I got to training, Colleen notified me that one woman had indeed dropped out of the show and that the triple-trapeze act did indeed need someone to step in and that she was grateful that I'd offered and she would love to have me! I am sad that that woman dropped out, but I'm really excited to get to do a trapeze act! I've never done one before because I tend to focus on fabric, but I love trapeze too! They had the act all choreographed, so I just had to learn the part. We ran through it twice and it already looks good. I was worried that I wouldn't mesh with them or I wouldn't have the skills, but I totally do and it's great! This just means that I have to work on my fabric act on my own time from now on because fabric and trapeze train at the same time. I think it will be fine though because I feel pretty good about my fabric act already.

After training, Randi made dinner for us (RJ - her boyfriend, Chantal, Mai, Danika, and me). It was tasty and we got very full, but we stuck it out and worked on some acro anyway - mostly just blocking and a couple moves that needed work). After that, I made cookies. They weren't as good as the first batch, but they were still sugary tasty treats. Once everyone was full of cookies they headed home and Randi, RJ and I hopped in the hot tub for some relaxation before bed. We tried to go to bed early so we could get up and meet Danika for breakfast, but I think we all got less sleep than intended. In any case, breakfast with Danika was great and I just need to digest a little before going to open studio to work on fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment