Saturday, June 11, 2011

The First Week of Camp

The first week of camp is coming to a close and things are going well.

Camp: We've figured out our groups and what type of acts we'll be doing for the show. I am in a group acrobatics act and I have a solo fabric act (scary!). The group act is the very first act of the show, we found out today. It open with two empty park benches. One woman walks on and sits down, alone in the rain. Then my acro partner and I walk on together, in love, under an umbrella and sit down on the other bench. Then another woman walks on and shares her umbrella with the first woman. The ensuing acrobatics are my partner and I fighting and eventually breaking up, and the other pair falling in love. This leaves the other pair together on their park bench under an umbrella and me alone on a park bench without an umbrella. Oh yes, and for the acro act I will actually be the BASE, not the flyer, which is kind of exciting and new, though I do love to fly (it's also awesome to support somebody in a cool move too). Just after this is a clown scene where a magic umbrella is created and sent into the air, which then causes a storm. The whole cast ends up huddling behind umbrellas (or for me under some newspaper that I find). Then I stand up and grab the magic umbrella which causes a phenomenal gust of wind that blows everyone else away but me at which point I close the umbrella and start my fabric act. Crazy! I'll be done with my acts in the first 20 min. of the show, which is kind of a bummer, but oh well.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the music for my fabric act. Here are some possibilities; if you have an opinion, please let me know:
Black - Pearl Jam
Superhero - Ani Difranco
Beautiful Dawn - The Wailin' Jennys
Hide and Seek - Imogen Heep
Carry On - Kristi Jo
Kinder - Copper Wimmin

I was going for something kind of sad and break-up-y, but also transformative. I mean, it is my last performance in this show so I don't really want to go out totally sad and pathetic, but I do want to have the sadness portrayed because it's there.

Living Situation: I'm still staying with a woman from camp in her very comfortable home. It's on the market so we have to be out with it all cleaned up from time to time, but it's not a big deal. Her dogs are great and I think they enjoy having me around for company during the day. She's also very generous and has given me free reign of the fridge and pantry for free.

Job: I just got a job with one of the teachers at the camp! I'll be working with her a couple days a week doing office stuff for her restaurant, so that should be great and cover most of my expenses while I'm here.

Friends: I just got off the phone with Michael after a good long conversation, which was very nice to have. I'm also still hanging out with the wonderful people my friend introduced me to when I got here and who let me stay with them the first couple nights. They are very fun, beautiful people. We're hoping to go to Lake Abiquiu tomorrow, but I have to figure out how to get to the right part of it first. Directions online tell you how to get to the boat ramp, which is unnecessary and gross for us. There are cliffs that I've been to that are great for jumping and swimming, so hopefully we can find those. Otherwise I might suggest we try going to Taos for the day to check out a Hanuman Temple and get a "prasad" brunch for free.

All in all things are going well. Tears still happen sometimes, but so do bike rides and fabric climbs and hot tubbing and baking, so, life goes on. Also, there is another woman in camp who just broke up with her partner so we're going to have a pi-tea-party together where we can just cry and talk it all out to someone who understands.

Well, now I'm going to try and bake some scones... Or go to a friend's for a movie... Either will be great.

1 comment: