Sunday, June 12, 2011

Abiquiu Encore

Today was a magical day that involved an hour-long road trip up to Abiquiu. This year, however, I and one of my wonderful passengers had been to the jumping rocks before, so we had no trouble finding them.

The afternoon started with the requisite sunscreen and hydration for the events to come. Bob and James jumped off the high rocks right away, but Leslie and I waited for our sunscreen to soak in. When we got up there, one guy was trying to build up his nerve for the jump and decided it would be better if we all chanted his name. So we all started chanting, "Brian, Brian, Brian!" louder and faster, but as the peak came, he did not jump. And as the peak faded, he did not jump. I got a little bored and took the opportunity to jump myself when he backed away to sit down. Leslie took a little convincing the first time. I waited for her in the water, but got too cold (it's still snow melt you know!). I joined them at the top again just in time to see her jump. We then played in the water, ate snacks, took pictures and laughed. Leslie and I jumped in off a low rock to swim around and cool off and again, Brian was at the top trying to gather his courage. People were counting down, shouting his name, offering hims goods, etc. Finally I shouted, "I'll show you my boobs!" Everyone cheered. Other ladies in the water volunteered too. Finally Brian had the motivation he needed. He jumped and we tossed off our tops. Everyone was glad to see us. Brian thanked us because our kind act made everyone happy about his jump instead of mad that it took him so long. Leslie and I enjoyed some time swimming and sunning topless, but soon it was time to pack up and take a final dip to cool off before hiking back to the car.

We were all a little sleepy on the drive home, but we got back safely and uneventfully. At home Leslie and Bod cooked a killer dinner for us and we chowed down enjoying freshly cooked corn tortillas, scrambled eggs with veggies, tumeric rice and sweet potatoes. We collaborated to finish off a box of wine and enjoyed the evening as Bob played songs and we all helped him write new verses. Leslie's friend Sam joined us for some merriment, but soon after it was time for me to return to the big queen size bed in the AC house with internet to type this message, eat some ice cream, shower and go to bed.

It was a beautiful day with beautiful people. Only one of many to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment