Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Weekend Full

Friday saw me at Wise Fool at 11am, after having applied online to some jobs in the Bay Area. Unfortunately for me and Teal and Cecil who had all come to train, one of the instructors was giving a private trapeze lesson to three 5 year olds. They were very easily distracted by us even climbing the fabric on the other side of the room, so we sat around and talked and stretched and did crunches for an hour. When we finally got to work, Teal and I went over our routine a couple times, needing a break in the middle. We're a little worried about being able to get through the whole thing in the next two weeks. I went through it one more time after that for good measure. After that, Teal headed home for some lunch and I hung out and stilted around while Cecil (the super buff) kept climbing.

That evening our fabric training was canceled because Amy couldn't be there. So, teal and I went to the Museum of Indian Art and Culture, which is free Friday evenings. We enjoyed walking around and checking stuff out, but didn't have much of a chance to see the arts part before Teal had to go to Stilt training. I took her back to her car, but then there was still an hour of open museum time, so I went back to see the art part. It was fabulous. I was so inspired. Mostly with projects that I thought my old art teacher could implement with his students, but also just trying out different mediums and getting inspired by other styles and stories and traditions. I saw a flier on the way out that advertised Art Alive projects where you can learn to make "Indian" art at the museum, so I might do that this week.

After the museum, I picked up a few groceries and made myself dinner. I relaxed for a while killing time knitting and looking stuff up online and then got ready to go to the railyard for an art party thing. I walked down there which only took me about 20 minutes and was great because it was cool, but warm enough to wear a tank top. I met up with some friends and had a couple beers at a little restaurant right in the railyard. While I was there, a couple of women from circus camp happened by and we chatted a bit. The conversation at our table got pretty interesting late in the evening when sex (of course) and relationships and shame came up. It was fun being the FemSexy of the group. Finally at around 12:30 we decided to head home. My friend, Rob, gave me a ride home and politely declined to stay with me and keep me company (everyone in my house was out of town and I don't like being home alone at night... it's not so much a scared thing as a loneliness thing - I stay up pretty late and potential activities are significantly reduced by the lack of light, so I often don't know what to do with myself when I'm alone at night). Fortunately I was pretty drunk - because of the altitude of course! - and it was late so I just hopped in the shower and went to bed.

I got up early this morning so that I would have time to turn my crusty loaf of bread into bread pudding before heading over to Wise Fool for our Saturday run-through. The timing worked out perfectly and I had two warm pans of bread pudding when I got there. They were devoured. The run-through went alright. We still haven't made it through the entire show, which is scary. It was a little disorganized today and we've realized that there is a definite disconnect and lack of communication between the circus instructors and the artistic/theatrical directors (who are the only people running the run-throughs). We decided today though that we would have a sleep over/super long run-through next Friday. I'm excited. I'm gonna bake cookies!

After the run-through we were all pretty tired and stressed out, but Teal and I had plans to go to Nambe Falls and were planning on taking Avery with us. We invited others and it looked like the group was growing pretty big. We ended up waiting around for a while for another person to come and join us who eventually did not join us, which kind of sucked, but it wasn't too bad. During all the figuring stuff out, Cecil asked if her ex could come with us. She wasn't planning on going with us though. I wasn't so sure it was a good idea, since we'd have to do some logistical stunts to make it happen, it was all BUSTers besides him, and I really didn't like his attitude the time that I met him and I don't like the stress he causes for Cecil. We kind of said no because it was seeming like we wouldn't have room in our car, and Cecil got upset. I felt really badly about that. I mean, it's not my responsibility to show her ex a good time, but I didn't want to make things any harder for her and she had definitely already had a trying day. Well, he ended up not wanting to go with us anyway since Cecil wasn't going so it all worked out.

Teal, Avery and I took off in my car and we met one of Avery's friends and her little (awesome!) son and all got into one car because they charge entry fees by the car. When we finally got there we only had an hour and a half before the park closed, but we made the most of it. We hiked down to the bottom of the falls and marveled at the beauty of our surroundings and each others' energies on the way. Then we baptized ourselves in pure, icy, sacred water. It was amazing. We were all very glad that we went and we took lots of pictures of each other. Avery's son was truly amazing. He was so smart and articulate and had the best attitude. On the hike to the falls, he said that he should lead because he was a hunter, then he started chanting his own little made up mantra "I am fierce and strong!" It was awesome. At one point he fell in the water on his butt on some sharp rocks and just laughed. He is so grounded in himself and confident and respectful and independent, but also very loving. Avery must be one of the best moms ever and I plan to get lots of parenting advice from her.

On the drive back Teal and I made plans to go out to Taos tomorrow after training to check out some leotards and unitards that this woman makes custom. We might stay the night in Penasco and hang out with Cohdi! We'll see. If we have time, I might stilt walk around at the Father's Day Fiesta tomorrow before we leave for Taos. We'll see. At any rate, it's a full, fun, beautiful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment