Monday, June 7, 2010

Circus Camp is SA-WEET!

Training for circus camp actually started today and it freakin' rocks!! I'm totally stoked and a half. A little nervous that it's too much to put together in 4 weeks, but gonna bust my balls trying!

I showed up at 5:30pm for the first session of Acrobatics training not really knowing what to expect. The warm up kind of kicked my ass. We had to do a set of 20 "burpees" that involved crouching and jumping up, then coming down and jumping back into a plank position and then jumping back to a crouch and then up again. Around 15 I started to lose it. I made it through, but barely. I was weezing like you wouldn't believe. We ended up having to do 5 more because we hadn't been in sync for the first 20. But, one of the trainers said, "Come on guys, if Caitlyn can do it you can; she just got to elevation." It's so freakin' true! 7,000 feet makes quite a difference in one's ability to breathe... also apparently in ones ability to cook and boil (as I found out this evening).

Once we got started, I was put into two acrobatic groups - a group transitional piece that is only a minute and a half long, and... a duet! with a freakin' fabulous partner who is super strong and stable and knowledgeable. The two of us got to work for quite a while together and I already learned so many new moves! I'm so excited. We are going to kick butt! The transitional piece is also going really well and we had some great ideas thrown out.

Then, as I was leaving, the acro/aerial instructor came up to me and asked me if I would like to do a SOLO AERIAL ACT!!! There are only two major aerial acts in the show that will either end up being solos or duets, and it looks like Cecil and I nabbed them! So, it's kind of just up to us if we want to do both together or our own individually! I'm so stoked!!!! Terrified because my act is 4min. and 19 sec., but stoked! I was working on an act for the student showcase at the Athletic Playground that was the exact same length and it took me a couple weeks to be able to get through the whole thing without needing a break, so we'll see how this goes with only a few weeks to prepare and some elevation issues to contend with!

Hooray hooray hooray! Yippee!!!

So, tomorrow is open gym and lots of practicing, then Wed. and Fri. are aerial class, then Sat. we come together to work as a group on the whole production. In the free time I'll be applying to more jobs, hiking, and working out at the gym!

SA-WEEEEEEEEEET!! BUST = best choice ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment