Sunday, June 13, 2010

Elbow Pain and Penasco

This weekend I am house-sitting for my couch surf hosts. It's nice to have privacy, but I'm a co-oper at heart and it's still weird to me to come home to an empty house. Friday night I entertained myself with making bread pudding for the first time. I had a dried up half baguette so I figured I'd put it to used. The bread pudding turned out pretty well, the worst part is not having someone to share it with.

I was trying to go easy on my elbow as it had been giving me a little pain during training. I actually didn't climb at all Saturday and had been limiting my climbing on Thursday and Friday. It appears my efforts may have been in vain though as Friday night that weird thing that happens late at night where my elbow hurts to the extreme and wakes me up and requires medicating before going back to bed happened. I woke up around 2:30am to my elbow aching really bad. I got up and took some ibuprofen and sat and rocked while reading a Santa Fe magazine for a while. It was seeming pretty endless and I started thinking that I may have ruined my whole trip to Santa Fe by getting injured and coupled with the pain it was enough to make me cry and (since no one was here to hear anyway) drop a few loud f-bombs. Finally it stopped hurting, so I laid myself back down to bed only to find that about twenty minutes later (before even falling back to sleep) my elbow started hurting again. I took another ibuprofen (now on pill number 3) and sat and rocked some more. It was then it occurred to me that it might have been something about being horizontal that made my elbow hurt, not something about it being bent. This belief was confirmed when it stopped hurting, I laid back down and it started hurting again. Finally I took my pillows and blankets to the couch and propped myself sitting upright with them and was finally able to sleep around 5am. Blegh.

The next day, Saturday, was a full cast meeting at circus camp. We started blocking the show, creating set pieces, and figuring out who is singing what. So... now I'm singing in two numbers and have my own little one liner in one of them. Who would've thought?

Blocking went well, but we only got through 2 acts of 5 so we might need to devote a little more time to this project to actually get it done by early July. It's pretty exciting to see how everything is going to look.

I had been planning to perform Saturday night at a benefit with some other BUSTers, but that fell through due to their schedules. So, I was available to make the one hour trip up to Penasco to help out with their benefit - at which three of my instructors from BUST and one of my instructors from the Athletic Playground (and not-so-secret infatuation) were performing. It was a fancy affair since they were trying to raise money to bring the theater up to fire code. It was phenomenal. Penasco is so beautiful and peaceful. It's like heaven. They had a giant trampoline that we (my duet partner and I) jumped on. The theater is attached to this old adobe house and is SO cute and awesome! Attached to the theater is a gourmet restaurant called Sugar Nymphs Bistro. They catered the evening and it was fabulous. I got to help set up, help out at the door, and sell raffle tickets... and when I wasn't working I got to watch all the performances, where I got to be amazed my my teachers and fall even more for my aerial crush - something about his performances just makes me want to weep at the beauty. As the night wound down, we got to have a couple glasses of free wine and some gourmet bread. Teal (my duet partner) offered me a place to stay with her for the night, but I thought it best to come back to the house that I'm house-sitting.

It's good that I did because my elbow acted up again. But this time, armed with new knowledge, I sat up right away, didn't need ibuprofen, and just moved my blankets and pillows to the couch and went back to sleep without too much issue. Teal and I also plan to head back up to Penasco in the next week or so to hang out with the wonderful people, train with my infatuation - and be in awe of him the whole time!, jump on the trampoline, and go up to Taos to check out some costume stuff for our act. Fabulous!

Now it's time to finish the dishes before my hosts get back...

No comments:

Post a Comment